Welcome to MITACT's ACT Music Newsletter
SILLY SEASON 2007
OK, I'm going to claim this to be a November/December 07 newsletter... Come on, November was only three days ago... Actually this might end up being a November/December/January newsletter, depending how festive I get this festive season...
I'm interested to hear from anyone who would like to contribute to the MITACT newsletter and if you have any other skills/ideas, then definitely give me a shout! This is, after all, for the greater good of the music community in and around our territory (and it's busting my b**** doing it all myself :-). But for you, it's a pleasure!
Hope to see you all at the MMF forum on Wednesday the 12th (details below!). Happy times! And in all seriousness, here's hoping everyone has a happy and safe festive season!
MUSIC INDUSTRY NEWS
MMF ACT PRESENTS: HOW TO BUILD A FAN BASE
Music Industry panel discussion and forum
When? Wednesday 12 December, 6 pm
Where? The Basement, Cohen St, Belconnen
How Much? MMF Members FREE, Students $5, Public $10
What is it? A panel of music industry professionals will discuss band and image management, marketing and promotions and guerilla marketing tactics to assist building a fan base.
Confirmed panelists include:
Kelvin Fahey (Hardrush Music)
Kelvin is the CEO of Hardrush Music, a medium scale Australian Independent Recording Label with around 100 signed artists with some $3 million sales last year.
Bill Arnett (The Folkus Room)
Bill Arnett is the Director of The Folkus Room, a performance space operating out of rooms at The Serbian Cultural Centre & Club in Mawson ACT. He brings nearly forty years experience operating live performance venues and festival events and will introduce and discuss
the concept of selling "the place", "community" and "the atmosphere" rather than "the act".
Ben Lopez (from band Meatbee & Paper Monkey Graphic Design)
And a representative from Canberra Arts Marketing
For enquires, contact the MMF ACT Representative Sharon Sanders on (02) 6282 0349 or by email at email@example.com, or the MMF National Coordinator Vanessa Brady on 0412 942 317 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
ROCK SCHOOL IS BACK IN CANBERRA 2008!
TUESDAY 29TH JANUARY - SATURDAY 2ND FEBRUARY, 2PM - 5PM
Fun summer holiday workshop for ages 11-16.
Do you play in a band? Do you want to play in a band? School’s in this summer for young rock musos aged 11-16 years at Music For Everyone’s ROCK SCHOOL. Enjoy a fun week of afternoon workshops in electric lead guitar, bass guitar, drum-kit, and vocals.
Get expert tips on playing rock music, enjoy great jam sessions together as bands - all with professional band players as your coaches, with the chance to perform at the National Museum of Australia and the National Multicultural Festival!
For more info and enrolment form available from 27 November: http://www.mfe.org.au/special.htm
GREENROOM IS RE-RELOCATING
The word is out that the Greenroom will be relocating once again. It's back to the original spot in Phillip from Thursday the 10th of January '08. Much to the relief of many a Southsider?
REDSUN REHEARSAL STUDIO OPENNING UP IN BELCONNEN
Redsun is opening up a rehearsal studio in Belconnen at the old Sound Underground premises. Word is that it will be open for business in January 2008.
GRANTING THE WISHLIST - CHARITY CONCERT
From midday to sundown on December 15th local artists will be performing at
Reconciliation Place to raise much needed financial aid for bahay
tuluyan - a shelter supporting neglected, abused and exploited street
children in the Philippines (check out http://camsugden.googlepages.com/gwl and www.bahaytuluyan.org for more info).
The target is $10,000 to provide basic things
including beds to sleep in, clothing, food, educational supplies and
regular medical checks etc…
The Andi and George Bands
The Cherry Marines
and more bands to be announced.
This is a community charity event open to all ages. Participants are
encouraged to donate a minimum of $5 and will be provided with an arm
band. We invite families to bring the kids during the day and have a
picnic on the lawns. Local musicians and DJs alike will pump out some
splendid tunes for the young (and the young at heart) till the golden
sun hits the water.
There will be face painting, a sausage sizzle, raffle, frizbee, soccer match and photography stall amongst other great activities whilst the music continues to inspire and amuse! If you’re interested in playing or helping out please get in touch (contact details are available on Cardboard Charlie's website).
FESTIVAL SEASON by Tim from Hard ACT to Follow
We are well and truly into the festival season now. We’ve already had a few and there is plenty more action to come…
Liquid Sun (http://www.servantsofsound.org/events.html) is on Saturday 15 though to Sunday 16 December. It’s billed as “Canberra’s own open air lifestyle event”, and features some cool electronic/dance/trance style music from Space Tribe, Siaqua, Raz and heaps more at a location within 30 minutes from the Canberra CBD.
Sun Sets (http://www.myspace.com/sunsetscanberra) is an all day/night event held around the Amphitheatre venue in Commonwealth Park on Saturday 22 December. "Music all day and night, in the back yard of your dreams" is the slogan, which sounds cool to me. There will be art, a chill out area, and some very cool music from some great DJs and live acts. Price of admission is well worth it just to see the amazing Cellblock 69 rip it up in their once-a-year gig. After seeing them at the sell-out gig at Toast last year and the panty throwing madness that the show invoked, I definitely recommend it.
Corinbank Festival (http://www.corinbank.com/) has made it’s first line-up announcement and it is fairly cracking. Xavier Rudd, The Herd, Dahahoo, Casual Projects, D’Opus & Roshambo and a whole host of others play at Corin Forest over 3 days! From 29 February to 2 March 2008. Plus there sounds like there’ll be a bunch of new media installations and a damn good vibe. Canberra’s very own big camping festival. Very exciting.
Indyfest (http://www.indyfest.com/) is on the 8th of March 2008, and have an awesome array of local indy talent lined up including Paqman, Hancock Basement, Cool Weapon, Looking Glass, Strong Like Sam, The Chuffs, The Friend Or Enemy, Borderline Escape and a whole bunch more. Keep an eye out for upcoming announcements.
GET OUT THERE!
Triple J Unearthed's "Big Day Out" competition is closing soon! The closing date is December the 10th, details here.
Do you see yourself as a composer for screen? Check out the APRA / jtv Underscore Competition for a chance to get some exposure and experience with scoring music for film.
"UPSTEP" CHARITY CONCERT
Samantha Tyler from Kaleen High School would like to make a difference by holding a competition for local bands (members aged 16-25yrs); the proceeds to directly benefit the Tabitha Foundation. The event, “Upstep” aims to raise $10,000 for the Tabitha Foundation which will go towards labour and building materials required for housing construction and several large water wells for families living in poverty in Cambodia.
There are two stages to the "Upstep" band competition, the first to be held at the Southern Cross Club on the 23rd and 24th of February 2008 and the the second in June. The "Upstep" team are looking for bands, support teams and individuals experienced in stage management and live sound for the events. Contact Larissa or Samantha Tyler by emailing email@example.com or by phone on 6255 4719 for more information.
SONGS FOR THE MITACT MYSPACE
If you'd like to grace the MITACT MySpace page with a song, we'd love to hear from ya. It'd be great to get some tunes up there for purposes of entertainment as well as for potential exposure for bands/artists from people who come across the site. Give me a shout using the contact form and we can organise getting the song via email or off the net. Just so long as you have rights to let us use it and can ensure us that we won't get sued by your label, publisher or someone else for having it on our MySpace page.
Big Dave is set to release a music video for his song "My Way" on December 7th. Keep an eye on his MySpace page for updates. Also Dave's record label, Koky Prik Records, have just released some new merch gear, check it out on the KPR website.
Dahahoo are hitting the road in December, playing at venues throughout NSW and QLD. Dates and details on their MySpace page.
Inflatable Ingrid are playing their "(potentially) Final Ingrid Bootlegs Of The Year!” at The Phoenix on Monday 3 December. Tha Ingrid are on at 10:30pm but there’s a host of local talent (as usual for Bootlegs) from 8:00pm.
Kayo Marbilus will have a track featured on tonight's episode of Fat Pizza and will also be rep'in the ACT in the next issue of Star Central Magazine.
Local faves Meatbee are playing their last gig at ANU Bar on Thursday 20 December. Playing with them are rockers Looking Glass and The Chuffs who will both have new EPs available at the show.
So Long Safety are putting the finishing touches on the wicked video for their track "You'll Never Beat Me". If you're lucky you might still be able to sneak a peak of the almost finished version over at YouTube.
The Vague(ness) have put up some rough demos on their MySpace page.
two-hatz has joined forces with Quambine to form the brand new electro outfit called "Dissection". Having recently played along-side Paqman, Dissection are close to completing their debut EP. Check out their MySpace page for a sample and some more details.
Yoko Oh No have finished recording their demo titled "demoses". You can check some of the songs out on their MySpace and Unearthed pages.
Zwish have a new video out with some funky Lego animation... here's the G Rated Version or alternatively, hit their website for more.
Got News? Head to the contact page on the MITACT web site and let us know.
Looking to join a band or find a band member? Check out the MITACT's "Collaborate" topic on MITACT forum.
ACT MUSIC RELATED WEBSITES
Here's some direct links to sections on the MITACT web site:
Bands/Artists • Venues • Businesses • Resources • The Gig Guide • The MITACT Forum
Carve Media Empire recently released their August edition of Carve Monthly. You can subscribe to Carve Monthly by following the instructions on their web site.
Eight Shock Music are hard working folks, promoting and organising gigs in Canberra, with connections in other cities. They also release a monthly newsletter. Check out their MySpace page for more on Eight Shock.
Littlesmoke's Just Bands is an awesome place for local music news and a great communication tool. Here's the link.
The Canberra Blues Society have an extensive web site on blues music in the Canberra region. Heaps of reviews, articles, bios and an awesome gig guide. Check it out here.
BMA Magazine. With a reputation like that of the BMA Magazine, little needs to be said about the great work they put into their magazine and the Canberra music scene (as you already know!). Look for Fedde Le Grand on the cover of this fortnight's BMA mag or head straight to the web site and read it online.
Sketchy Crew is a web site dedicated to dance music in the ACT, with a gig guide, reviews, profiles, photos and more. Check it out here.
All Ages ACT have a comprehensive ACT All Ages gig guide at their MySpace page.
Loaded Dog have a music blog, podcast and gig guide on their website.
Destitute Zine is a Canberra based punk/rock/hardcore zine. Check it out.
Cardboard Charlie has an online shop selling music from ACT artists. This is seriously cool!
Check out the MITACT.com resources page for plenty more helpful resources.
CANBERRA BAND GIG GUIDE
Monday 3rd December 2007
- Brannan - 8 PM - The Phoenix, Bootleg Sessions - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Inflatable Ingrid - 10 PM - The Phoenix Bootlegs - Civic, Australian Capital Territory
Thursday 6th December 2007
Friday 7th December 2007
- 2hatz - 10 PM - The Basement - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Adam Hole - 6 PM - The Soul Bar - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Andi and George - 8 PM - Touring with the Dancing Girls "Coming Home Tour" - Moruya, New South Wales
- Aria Stone - 9 PM - Helenic Club - Woden, Australian Capital Territory
- Aria Stone - 6 PM - School of Art Gallery - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Black Creek - 8 PM - GREENROOM UC supporting THE BLACKWATER FEVER - BRUCE, Australian Capital Territory
- Dahahoo - 8 PM - TRISELIES w Bonjah (NZ) - Katoomba, New South Wales
- Fistful Of Nothing - 8 PM - :::Paqman::: *BELCOMPTON youthie* - canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- GSD - 6 PM - Belconnen Youth Centre - Westfield Shopping Town.
- Los Capitanes - 8 PM - Mona Vale Hotel **WORLD TOUR OF AUSTRALIA** - Mona Vale
- Marji Curran Trio - 6 PM - The Soul Bar - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Saturday 8th December 2007
- Andi and George - 8 PM - Touring with the Dancing Girls "Coming Home Tour" - Ulladulla, New South Wales
- Escape Syndrome - 9 PM - ANU BAR - w/ Reflection Point (Syd) + Head Filled Attraction (Melb) - Canberra
- Gasma - 8 PM - ANU(s) Bar w/ Reflection Point, Escape Syndrome and Head Filled Attraction - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Haunted Attics - 8 PM - The Phoenix - Canberra
- Los Capitanes - 2 PM - Utopia Records (AA) **WORLD TOUR OF AUSTRALIA** - Sydney
- Los Capitanes - 8 PM - Bizzos Caringbah **WORLD TOUR OF AUSTRALIA** - Sydney
- Tonk - 8 PM - The Venue- W/- NIGHT TRAIN & JESTER - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Sunday 9th December 2007
- Cassidys Ceili - 5 PM - The Irish Club - Weston, Australian Capital Territory
- Ian Blake - 5 PM - The Irish Club with Cassidy's Ceili - Weston, Australian Capital Territory
- Jonno Zilber - 4 PM - Astor Hotel - Jonno & The Peddler - Goulburn, New South Wales
Monday 10th December 2007
- Andi and George - 8 PM - The Phoenix Bar - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Dahahoo - 11 PM - Bootlegs @ Phoenix - Canberra
- Emma Dryden - 8 PM - The Phoenix Bar (bootlegs session) - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Tuesday 11th December 2007
- Andi and George - 12 PM - Human Torch Relay in Garema Place - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Wednesday 12th December 2007
- Dahahoo - 8 PM - LASS O GOWRIE "Road to Woodford" tour - Newcastle, New South Wales
Thursday 13th December 2007
- Andi and George - 12 PM - Groovin in Garema - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Dahahoo - 8 PM - ARMIDALE CLUB "Road to Woodford" tour - Armidale, New South Wales
Friday 14th December 2007
- Andi and George - 12 PM - Groovin in Garema - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Dahahoo - 8 PM - FEDERAL HOTEL "Road to Woodford" tour - Bellingen, New South Wales
- Jonno Zilber - 8 PM - George Harcourt Inn - Nicholls, Australian Capital Territory
- MyOnus - 8 PM - The Venue - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Strong like sam - 6 PM - [AA] CIVIC YOUTH CENTRE - CANBERRA, Australian Capital Territory
Saturday 15th December 2007
- Big Dave - 8 PM - Hermann's Inn Sydney - Sydney, New South Wales
- Friend Or Enemy - 2 PM - OMS Fest - Tuggeranong, Australian Capital Territory
- Gasma - 8 PM - Tuggeranong skate park - OMS Festival - swamparse, Australian Capital Territory
- Julia and the Deep Sea Sirens - 9 PM - Old Canberra Inn - The Berra, Australian Capital Territory
- Julia and the Deep Sea Sirens - 12 PM - Granting the Wishlist - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Lancerfield - 10 PM - The Old Canberra Inn - Canberra
- Manilla Green - 2 PM - Reconciliation Place - "Granting the Wishlist" - Fundraiser for Bahay Tuluyan - Australian Capital Territory
- O-Hooligans, The - 9 PM - Transit Bar supporting The Counterfeit Gypsies - Canberra
- Super Best Friends - 1 PM - The R Fest - Griffith, New South Wales
- Tonk - 8 PM - THE GREENROOM- Supporting DEAD LETTER CIRCUS - CANBERRA, Australian Capital Territory
Sunday 16th December 2007
- Adam Hole - 3 PM - Knightsbridge Penthouse - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Ian Blake - 4 PM - Pocket Score Company at All Saints: Spanish Renaissance music for Advent - Ainslie, Australian Capital Territory
- Kooky Fandango - 5 PM - Knightsbridge lounge bar - Braddon, Australian Capital Territory
- Lancerfield - 5 PM - Knightsbridge Penthouse - Sunday Arvo Sessions - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Marji Curran Trio - 3 PM - knightsbridge Penthouse - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Keep an eye on the MITACT Gig Guide for more!
CONTRIBUTE TO MITACT MUSIC NEWS
If you have any ACT music industry news you'd like included in our newsletter, head to the contact page on the MITACT web site and let us know.