Welcome to MITACT's first ever ACT Music Newsletter
After scouring through hoards of info on the net, we bring you this, a concise update on the happenings of the ACT's music industry. We will assess how this newsletter goes and might make it a quarterly or monthly issue. As you are probably aware, MITACT.com is a web site that has been set up to encourage networking in our talented city. The web site boasts a directory of over 130 bands, around 50 businesses and heaps of links to useful Australian and international music industry resources. Now if that's not enough, we've also set up a forum for musos, businesses, venues and punters to communicate AND we've got a regularly updated gig guide! We hope that the web site will prove especially useful to established and up and coming musicians as a source of useful information and an easy way to communicate with peers. 'Nuff said about the awesome web site, lets move on to some...
MUSIC INDUSTRY NEWS
MMF "HOME VERSUS STUDIO RECORDING" FORUM
The ACT branch of the Music Managers Forum (MMF) Australia will be presenting a forum on home versus studio recording to discuss topics such as how studio versus home recording compare in terms of production, cost and final product, whether it's possible to get studio quality recordings at home and whether recording studios too expensive for the independent artist.
Confirmed panelists who will be discussing these subjects include:
- Tony Cohen - Record producer and mixer for such artists as Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, The Cruel Sea, Frenzal Rhomb and Powderfinger to name a few.
- Kurt Neist - Metalworx sound engineer who has worked with several live venues around Canberra with local, national and international acts. Currently working with The Basement and also provides digital recording and mixdown services.
- Duncan Lowe - The main force behind Infidel Studios one of the ACT's premiere recording studios. Duncan has worked with several bands that have managed to get national and international exposure.
- Kimmo Vennonen - An established mastering engineer and producer, board member (and previous manager) of 2XXfm, sound designer and electronic music extrodanaire.
This will be a great opportunity to get some expert opinions on what is a pretty hot topic and also pick up some tips and tricks and another good chance to network with peers. More info can be found following this: link.
Time: Tuesday 21st August 2007
Cost: Members Session 6:00pm, Panel Commences 7:00pm
Venue: The Green Room, University of Canberra Bar, Belconnen ACT
MMF Members FREE, Students $5, Public $10
INDYFEST 2008 EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST OPEN UNTIL THE 24th OF AUGUST
2008 will mark the 18th birthday for Indyfest. The deadline for band submissions is Friday the 24th of August, more info can be found at this link.
CAUGHT IN THE ACT 2007 - ACT BAND COMPILATION CD
The Caught in the ACT have opened up the submission process to be on the 2007 CD. For more information, check out the news section of their website.
NATIONAL CAMPUS BAND COMPETITION
"The largest live band competition in the southern hemisphere" the National Campus Band Competition is heading to Canberra.
Heats will be held on Thursday 30th August, Thursday 6th September and Thursday 13th. The ACT State Final will be held on Thursday 20thy of September. All heats and the finals will be held a the Music Industry Centre, CIT Southside Campus Woden, except for Thursday the 13th of September which will be held at the UC Bar.
More info is available on the NCBC web site.
THE GREEN ROOM HAS RELOCATED
As most will know, the Green Room has packed up its gear from the Phillip location and has now moved to the University of Canberra Bar in Belconnen.
There are more and more music videos surfacing from this city's talent. We'd love to hear from any bands that have videos up, shoot us an email via our contact page on our web site. Here's a Youtube search for Canberra Band videos. Braidwood's Bumblebeez have a new video out for a single "Doctor Love" of their forthcoming album, also check out some of their older videos, they're pretty entertaining (Youtube link). Here's some more 'pre-searched' Youtube links for more local band video goodness: Meatbee, Zwish... I'm sure there's plenty more videos out there, so let us know, or even post them on the MITACT forum (instructions how to do that can be found here).
CANBERRA BAND NUDE CALENDAR 2008
Well, this one is pretty self explanatory going by the title. Check out their MySpace page for more info.
Cool Weapon recently received "Artist of the Week" honors and "Hottest Pick" from Sony BMG and guest artists the Bumblebeez on the uncharTED competition. They are currently hovering in the top 3 spots in the competition and need to stay there until the end of August, so I'm sure they'd appreciate as many votes as possible. More info can be found on this link.
Inflatable Ingrid's debut EP "Urgent! Put This On Right Now!" has been mixed and is closer to release, pending mastering and printing. The band are anticipating that this will be about a month away (September-ish?).
Koolism are hard at work on a new album, to keep up to date on news about that, check out their MySpace page.
Manilla Green will be in the the August edition of the US "Skratch Magazine". The magazine's Indie Sampler Volume 7 CD will include their song "She Tried to Teach Me" and will also feature music from the band "Bright Eyes". The 'Green will also be heading into the studio in October to record with super producer Jonathan Burnside (The Sleepy Jackson, Faith No More, The Melvins, Nirvana, etc, etc, etc.). Check their MySpace for more info.
Super Best Friends are launching their debut EP 'Seditious Material' on the 24th of August at the ANU Bar. More info on their "MySpam page".
Switch 3 have announced a new album coming out in October 2007 entitled "Calm Before". Keep an eye out on their MySpace page for more.
The O’Hooligans stopped in for some general banter and with the Loaded Dog team on the latest Insatiable Benalities podcast.
Zwish have a "Name that CD" competition running until the 31st of August. The competition, as the name suggests, is to name their upcoming CD. Here's a link with more information.
Looking to join a band or find a band member? Check out the MITACT's "Collaborate" topic on MITACT forum.
ACT MUSIC RELATED WEBSITES
Here's some direct links to sections on the MITACT web site:
Bands/Artists • Venues • Businesses • Resources • The Gig Guide • The MITACT Forum
Carve Media Empire recently released their August edition of Carve Monthly. You can subscribe to Carve Monthly by following the instructions on their web site.
Eight Shock Music are hard working folks, promoting and organising gigs in Canberra, with connections in other cities. They also release a monthly newsletter. Check out their MySpace page for more on Eight Shock.
Littlesmoke's Just Bands is an awesome place for local music news and a great communication tool. Here's the link.
The Canberra Blues Society have an extensive web site on blues music in the Canberra region. Heaps of reviews, articles, bios and an awesome gig guide. Check it out here.
BMA Magazine. With a reputation like that of the BMA Magazine, little needs to be said about the great work they put into their magazine and the Canberra music scene (as you already know!). Look for Powderfinger and Silverchair on the cover of this fortnight's BMA mag or head straight to the web site and read it online.
Sketchy Crew is a web site dedicated to dance music in the ACT, with a gig guide, reviews, profiles, photos and more. Check it out here.
All Ages ACT have a comprehensive ACT All Ages gig guide at their MySpace page.
Loaded Dog have a music blog, podcast and gig guide on their website.
CANBERRA BAND GIG GUIDE
Wednesday 15th August 2007
Thursday 16th August 2007
Friday 17th August 2007
- Bobby G-Had - 5 PM - Bobby G-Had @ Ojo`s
- Jonno Zilber - 8 PM - Balgownie Hotel - Wollongong, New South Wales
- Looking Glass - 8 PM - The Greenroom w/LOG (Uni of Canberra)
- Vision - 9 PM - Astor Hotel - Screaming Jets/Dragon Band Comp Final (18+) - Goulburn, New South Wales
- Waithering, The - 6 PM - w/ As Silence Breaks, Hard Luck, Mary Jane Kelly - Jamison Inn
- Zwish - 8 PM - Temora Pub w/ Dirty Little Secerts & Crush - Temora, New South Wales
Saturday 18th August 2007
- Adam Hole - 7 PM - The Venue
- Beneath Still Waters - 6 PM - Jamison Inn - Jamison
- Chuffs, The - 8 PM - The Greenroom
- Escape Syndrome - 8 PM - Jamison Inn - All Ages!! - w/ Red Distress, Ebolagoldfish + Every Bride Burned
- Fast Twitch - 9 PM - Dark By Design (UK) @ ANU
- Jonno Zilber - 7 PM - Mariners Lodge - Batemans Bay, New South Wales
- Los Capitanes - 3 PM - UTOPIA RECORDS**instore appearence** - Sydney
- Marji Curran Trio - 7 PM - The Venue
- Murder Meal Combo - 8 PM - Lucky Country Hotel (MMC cancelled) - Newcastle, New South Wales
- Slow Burn - 5 PM - Tuross Rec Hall - BRA AND JOHNSONS 21st w/ HARD LUCK, TAKEDOWN + MORE - Tuross, New South Wales
- Waithering, The - 5 PM - Red Ditress w/ Evolvar, Ebolagoldfish - Jamison Inn
- Zwish - 8 PM - Cootamundra Wattle Festival - Cootamundra, New South Wales
Sunday 19th August 2007
Monday 20th August 2007
Thursday 23rd August 2007
- Looking Glass - 8 PM - Lake Jindabyne Hotel, Jindabyne - Jindabyne, New South Wales
Friday 24th August 2007
- Australian Kingswood Factory - 8 PM - Supporting British India! - The Greenroom - UC Bar - Bruce
- Escape Syndrome - 8 PM - Jamison Inn - All Ages!! - w/ Envy Parade, Ethix, Afraid You'll Fall, Vasdefferen + more
- Julia and the Deep Sea Sirens - 9 PM - Soul Bar
- Murder Meal Combo - 9 PM - Pot Belly
- O-Hooligans, The - 8 PM - ANU bar supporting Super Best Friends
- Randall-Blair and the Wedded Bliss - 8 PM - The Valley Tavern
- Shitzu Jimmy - 9 PM - Kremlin Bar
- Super Best Friends - 8 PM - Super Best Friends CD Launch!!! w/ Slimey Things (Syd) & The OHooligans! (Afterparty at Rev!) - ANU Bar
- Surrender - 6 PM - Jamison inn w/ Envy Parade, Stealing Oneal, Ethix, The Waithering, Escape Syndrome
- Waithering, The - 6 PM - Envy Parade w/ Stealing Oâ€™neal, Ethix - Jamison Inn
Saturday 25th August 2007
Monday 27th August 2007
CONTRIBUTE TO MITACT MUSIC NEWS
If you have any ACT music industry news you'd like included in our newsletter, head to the contact page on the MITACT web site and let us know.